Job Title: Technology Specialist
Company: Wolf, Greenfield & Sacks, P.C.
Students majoring and in science or engineering have a unique skillset that is desired by law firms that practice intellectual property law. In order to became a registered patent agent or patent attorney, it is essential to have a degree in science or engineering. For those students interested in pursuing a career path in patent law, Wolf Greenfield provides an environment designed to teach the basics of patent law by starting a career as a Technology Specialist (Tech Spec). You will learn how to apply your scientific and technical knowledge to assist our clients in protecting their inventions, products, and services and build value in a competitive marketplace. It is not required to have prior legal experience or a degree in law. All that is required is a strong foundation in engineering or science, a love of learning new technology, and a passion for working on dynamic teams.
Currently, we are looking to hire a tech spec to join the Biotechnology practice group.
Typical responsibilities of our tech specs include:
· Reviewing technical disclosures and participating in client interviews to understand new inventions;
· Searching literature and patent databases to determine the patentability of inventions;
· Drafting written assessments of the prospects of obtaining patent protection;
· Writing patent applications;
· Preparing responses to communications from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office;
· Developing arguments for patentability to Patent Office Examiners; and
· Reviewing patents as part of the IP due diligence for a potential acquisition or merger.
Technology Specialists at Wolf Greenfield pursue one of two tracks:
· Patent Attorney Track: After at least one year with the firm gaining valuable on-the-job experience, we anticipate that you will enroll in a part-time law school evening program. The firm supports your education by reducing your billable hour requirement and covering the cost of tuition and books. The part-time law school program typically takes four years to complete. Upon graduating, taking the bar exam, and being admitted to practice law, you will transition to the role of Associate.
· Patent Agent Track: On the Patent Agent Track, you will enjoy the same types of challenging work and professional development opportunities, with a reduced billable hour requirement. Your training and on-the-job experience will help you develop your career as a seasoned Patent Agent. The opportunity to participate in the firm's law school program will not be offered to someone in this position.
Candidates with a background in biology, genetics, microbiology, biochemistry, or immunology are encouraged to apply. Please note, an advanced degree is required.
Current regulations relating to the deemed export of certain information and technologies with which we and our clients work require us to limit access to citizens of the United States and United States permanent residents. If you do not currently meet this status requirement, we will not be able to consider your application for employment at this time.
Please apply directly on our website: http://apply.wolfgreenfield.com/viRecruitSelfApply/ReDefault.aspx. Applications for open positions are not accepted via email. We will only consider an individual for either the Patent Attorney Track or the Patent Agent Track. We ask that you do not submit applications to both tracks. For technical difficulties, please contact email@example.com.